There is no denying that coconut oil does have several benefits. It can be used not only to cook tasty dishes but can also be used for medical and beauty purposes as well. As a matter of fact, it is one of the foods that is labeled as a “superfood.” It contains healthy saturated fat that has different benefits than other fats found in other foods that you eat.
More than that, coconut oil may be used externally and internally for other purposes. Many health experts agree that it can benefit pregnant women in so many ways. In this post, we list some of the ways that you can use coconut oil for pregnancy so you can maximize its benefits.
Health Benefits of Coconut Oil During Pregnancy
- Use of coconut oil for pregnancy can reduce perinatal mortality. One of the studies, which was conducted in Kelantan, Malaysia, supports this claim. It proved that compared with the traditional herbal medicines prepared and provided by traditional midwives that can increase the risk of perinatal infant mortality, coconut oil lessens perinatal mortality to more than 50%.
- Coconut is known to have anti-fungal and anti-viral properties. It can help prevent colds, flu, as well as other viral infections. As pregnancy makes your immune system susceptible to a host of diseases, consuming coconut oil and products containing coconut or coconut oil will provide you with the protection that you need.
- Consumption of coconut, coconut oil, and other products mixed with these two, may lessen your need to consume over-the-counter medications. This will essentially, limit the adverse effects that synthetic drugs may have on you and your baby’s health.
- Coconut oil is an essential element needed to strengthen the immune system.
- Many other countries have a special affection for this superfood. In India, it is considered a natural cure for infertility. There are also countries that consider coconut as an infant’s first solid food.
- Coconut water contains electrolytes that can help in the proper circulation of the blood and oxygen in the body. It can, therefore, help pregnant moms who are experiencing pain in their feet and having other common leg problems as a result of their pregnancy.
- Coconut can be used as a natural alternative to other pricey beauty care products that may also contain unsafe ingredients. It can be an effective treatment for stretch marks. It can also be as effective in nourishing the skin (when used as a natural moisturizer) and hair. It can also be used as an eye cream and lessen the dark circles that you may have as a result of sleepless and tiring nights.
- Coconut contains lauric acid that helps regulate the cholesterol level in the body. Health experts suggest that when coconut oil is consumed in moderation it can help the pregnant body to absorb fat-soluble vitamins that are essential for your baby’s maximum growth. This will also ensure that your newborn baby will receive high-quality breast milk that he will need as he continues to grow.
- Coconut oil is proven to help alleviate pregnancy-related symptoms like constipation, morning sickness, and constipation. It may also be used to lessen the effect of acid reflux if you are experiencing this as a result of your pregnancy.
- Coconut and other foods with coconut oil can be a great substitute for dairy products. Not everyone can have the dairy goodness that they usually enjoy. Coconut oil can be your great alternative source of nutrients if you are missing out on these healthy and delicious treats.
- Coconut oil can effectively treat cracked and sour nipples. You can just apply the oil as you would any other topical treatment.
- Coconut oil can also cure a dry scalp. Just apply a little oil on your scalp and leave it overnight. Wash it off with lukewarm water the next day. Your scalp will regain its natural softness as the oil is absorbed through your pores throughout the night.
- Coconut oil can help treat yeast infection. Hormonal imbalance during pregnancy may alter the pH level in the vaginal area resulting in yeast infection. Common symptoms accompanying this condition are as follows: pain, whitish discharge, or itching in the genital area. Applying the coconut oil directly on your genital area will help cure the infection.
- Coconut oil can help treat thrush. Thrush is another form of yeast infection that affects the breasts of a lactating mother. Pain in the breasts and white blisters accompany this condition. Applying coconut oil around and over your breasts will facilitate the healing process and will make you feel comfortable while the symptoms subside.
How To Use Coconut Oil
Here are some of the ways you can incorporate coconut oil into your daily diet. It will be an extra nourishing treat that you will enjoy not just during pregnancy, however.
- Add coconut oil to a refreshing smoothie. A spoonful of extra virgin oil will do the trick. This will be a great way to perk you up and keep you energized for hours.
- Use coconut oil to fry your favorite snacks. Cut up bite-size pieces of your favorite veggies and stir-fry them in coconut oil. That will be a delicious treat that is also healthy and budget-friendly.
- Use coconut cream as a milk alternative. Yes, this can be used as a delicious and nutritious cream base alternative to any regular milk.
- Use coconut oil to bake your favorite pastries. With enough of this nutritional oil in your daily diet, you will see that your hair, skin, and nails are growing fairer every day. You will see their natural glow, and you will hardly ever have to worry about hair fall or dry skin and hair.
As always, consumption should be in moderation. You may also notify your doctor whenever you want to include coconut oil in any of the medications that you are using. As this is a natural treatment, you will observe that you get only the best from this wonder food.